Since december 2012 Battlestations: Midway is supported by GameSpy no longer. The only one possibility for Midway players is GameRanger. Please visit www.gameranger.com, download Gameranger client and make new account. You can find other Midway players in the Gameranger rooms. BS:M patch 1.1.1 is required to play online battles. Iowa Mission Pack and Midway Modders Mappacks 1 and 2 are recommended.

Performance Help!

Performance Help!

Hello All,
    I am new to Battlestations Pacific but I’m a veteran of Battlestations Midway. I recently purchased a copy BSP for my PC after enjoying many hours of playing BSM over the last few years. The install of BSP went off without a hitch. After defragging my rig and restarting it I fired up the game and starting tweaking my control set up for my joystick. Once that was finished I was ready to play. I started out in the Allied training grounds and everything was going great. Graphics were looking amazing and the sound of my Battleship’s guns was awesome. Then it happened…after about 10 minutes of gameplay my frame rates hit a brick wall. By brick wall I mean I couldn’t even use my mouse to click exit it was so slow. I tried everything I can think of to correct the issue but haven’t had any luck so far. My system specs are listed below…any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
RAM: 4 GB
Vid Card: ATI Radeon HD 6850
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Direct X: 9.0c
ATI Catalyst Control Center:  12.3 (All settings were turned off while playing)

I have all the latest drivers for everything listed above…again any help would be great.

Cheers!
Roman_Souljah

Roman_Souljah
Seaman
Activity Points: 30
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts
User info in posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Performance Help!

http://www.cpuid.com/

Download this tool and check that your GPU does not overheat. I had this problem at 1 stage and an extra well placed case fan solved it. You should consider getting XP SP3 too at some stage (though I highly doubt this is the cause of your problem as BSP ran fine on XP SP2 my side)

Axis_Crusher
BSmodHQ/Riot Police
Activity Points: 10416
ranks
useravatar
1694 Posts
User info in posts

I also think of a overheat problem.

When I got my computer to run BSP, I always had computer complete crash after ~10 minutes. Also with any game comparable in power need.

For the little story the seller wouldn't admit this could be the problem when I got it back for guarantee. Argued that he could launch similar power needed programs with no problem on the same computer. I asked him to show me and he launched a video on VLC...He was totally persuaded that a video needed the same resource as a video game as BSP or gta IV running. bj

Oomperial
Great Khan of Pacific
Activity Points: 2405
ranks
useravatar
347 Posts
User info in posts

GPU won't be a problem, I think, it's a solid card.
Your CPU, on the other hand is kinda low.

Changing your graphic settings to the lowest didn't help?
If so, it's your CPU, if it still freezes it's probably your GPU.

Xfire: thyske
Xbox Live: M0n3yBE
Battlestations: Midway (PC) : M0n3yBE
Company of Heroes : M0n3y

M0n3y
God.
Activity Points: 1943
ranks
useravatar
1141 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks for the feedback…once again it’s very much appreciated. I see the point that heat could be the issue as my processor is quite a few years old. On the other hand I’m a bit surprised that it would be an issue at all seeing how my processor exceeds the 3Ghz or higher single core processor recommended in the system requirements for BSP. Is it possible that the game only makes use of one core of a dual core processor? I’d also like to think that my vid card is more than capable of handling anything that BSP could throw at it, again based on the system requirements for BSP. I’ve been wrong before though…that’s why I’m grateful for your responses and ideas.
    Two things I’d like to mention that may shed a little light on the situation. First, I’ve noticed that I don’t need to be playing the game in order for the problem to happen. Shortly after starting the game the other day I received a phone call so the game was just sitting at the main menu with the movie playing on the right hand side of the screen. I sat there for about 5 minutes watching it while talking on the phone. After about 10 more minutes the movie started skipping really bad and again my mouse was so sluggish I had to quit out by using Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
    Secondly, I also play Star Wars: The Old Republic which has heavier system requirements than BSP. I can run the game with all graphic settings on high and I’ve played for hours at a time without so much as a hiccup in the game’s performance. The graphics look awesome and the game runs extremely smooth. The Old Republic is the newest game that I’m currently running on my system…which is another reason why I’m confused. You would think that if I were to have any issues it would be with The Old Republic.
I can’t thank you guys enough for the feedback…if after reading this you think of anything else please let me know.

Cheers!
Roman_Souljah

Roman_Souljah
Seaman
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts
User info in posts

This is what the site is for. You have ideas or problems, we're here to listen. I too have had my problems, and I got help.

Midway and Pacific as Adm2805

Adm2805
Battlestations Veteran
Commodore
Activity Points: 4172
ranks
useravatar
735 Posts
User info in posts

Temperatures my friend.... what are they?

Axis_Crusher
BSmodHQ/Riot Police
ranks
useravatar
1694 Posts
User info in posts

Try reducing your graphics and see if there's any difference in temperature.
If the program suggested doesn't work, try SpeedFan.

It's odd, though, that you can run SW:OR smoothly without any problems...

M0n3y
God.
ranks
useravatar
1141 Posts
User info in posts

I fried my 9800GT on BSP but other games ran without it overheating

Axis_Crusher
BSmodHQ/Riot Police
ranks
useravatar
1694 Posts
User info in posts

Here are my temp readings...

System Idle @ Desktop
GPU = 41 C
CPU = 35 C

At Main Menu in BSP
GPU = 44 C
CPU = 46 C

In Game (as the problem is happening)
GPU = 57 C
CPU = 54 C

Roman_Souljah
Seaman
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts
User info in posts

toy with the settings, reduce the resolution and if possible play windowed, if the problem still persist go to Eidos HQ with a shotgun in your hand and ask for some answers. It looks more like something conflicting in BSP then it is your hardware.

Support me on Twitter!

http://twitter.com/Tipsymahn260

Tipsy3000
American Idiota! ;D
Commodore
Activity Points: 943
ranks
useravatar
1029 Posts
User info in posts

Yeah, your temps are fine.
I reach over 75 with my GPU on BF3 and it still runs smoothly.

Have you tried re-installing the game?
Do you have the latest drivers for your GPU?

M0n3y
God.
ranks
useravatar
1141 Posts
User info in posts

Yea...I did a fresh re-install on Tuesday. I very recently updated my drivers so I sould have the very latest.
Last night I dialed down the graphic settings in game to see if that would help. I pretty much disabled everything...shadows,ocean reflection, etc. Texture and Objects set to medium rather high but I did leave Anti-A at 4x...I'm going to try it again with the Anti-A off and objects and texture set to low and see what happens.

Another thing I noticed last night, after running into my issue in game I quit out and restarted it. I made back to the first Eidos splash screen then it started acting jumpy again...didn't even make it to the main menu.

Roman_Souljah
Seaman
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Dormant:
User Info:

Total Users:
Newest User:
Dickson47
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Online: 
There are no members online

Forum Legend:

Topic
 New
 Active
 New/Active
 New/Locked
 New Sticky
 Locked/Active
 Active/Sticky
 Sticky/Locked
 Sticky/Active/Locked

Login Form

Battlestations Shoutbox

Latest Message: 3 weeks, 3 days ago
  • N_Trainz : it shouldn't crash any of the IJN missions, just one mission has the history of crashing in the Challenge missions 2, I don't know the name as its been a while I last loaded this mod
  • alantay11 : Gdrive mod crashes when i try to load a mission in ijn campaign?
  • N_Trainz : No it was created by multiple authors from around the world. I just made it so its actually a mod instead of a complete game that's about 7GB in size. The readme file that is displayed can give you more info about the mod
  • Runsva : hey ntrainz did u make this mod all by yourself?
  • N_Trainz : If you need any other help, just shout out and I'll try to get back as soon as possible
  • N_Trainz : Its not a problem :D I do thank you for waiting for a long time to get the mod. Again hope you enjoy the mod and the other fun features it comes with
  • Legendary Da : I don't know how many times I said that, but thank you so much for your work. Considering how much time making an installer, making it work and uploading it to different servers, I thank you again for the effort you put in this. :D
  • N_Trainz : Legendary Da: Here it is, installers works this time and Moddb won't accept it as they say its too large to upload, so its on my Google Drive and here is the link, hope you enjoy it «link»
  • Legendary Da : I had guessed it was about the wrong area, though I still wondered why it had been removed. Thanks for taking your time to make something better for the community. Take as much time as you require, though; life still comes first.
  • N_Trainz : Actually it was removed by me for 2 reasons; 1. was it was uploaded in the wrong area and 2. the installer didn't autp - detect the disk version, only the Steam version (since that is what I have). Going to remake it so if you won't mind a but longer wat that'll be appreciated
  • Legendary Da : Thanks soo much for the mod, I couldn't access to the Internet lately so I couldn't write a reply. Btw, the mod is removed from ModDB, is it taken down, or you removed it yourself? Either way, thanks for the awesome work (at least for providing it) :D
  • N_Trainz : What game and mod are you dealing with?
  • Runsva : Can someone PLEASE help me i can't install anything on my game it just keeps crashing!!
  • N_Trainz : Legendary Da: Its now live on Moddb and here is the link, requires a Batlestations Midway game to be installed to work «link» - midway - skinpack/addons/international - bsm - collection - light - version Enjoy
  • Runsva : are we still talikg about the zyy modding pack??
  • N_Trainz : Yeah I wanted to do this, but the installers were being a pain giving me errors about something. I finally got it working, and just figured out how to make the updater now since it'll be two parts with one containing the misc files and the other mostly the mpak files. It'll be a stand - alone DLC mod just like the Bismarck Mission Pack was. Like I said I plan to have it all completed and uploaded by this weekend
  • Legendary Da : No, no, not problem at all; I am already grateful that you were thinking about this subject, I can wait as long as you need to. Thanks for the help (again), and feel no need to rush this subject; we all know that the life comes first. :)
  • N_Trainz : Hope you won't mind the wait, it'll be worth it if you ask me, and yes I do understand that you can't download due to that cap Mege has. I heard the PM was down, but haven't tried it as I been busy helping the BSmodHQ team with things and then those that are life - in - general.
  • N_Trainz : To Legendary Da: I been trying to work on that actually, what I'm experiencing is the pack size> I already made it a light version of the mod, so hopefully this weekend maybe, might be sooner
  • Legendary Da : To N_Trainz: So, um... I can't exactly download from Mega for some reason; so could u upload that mod to Moddb? I am sorry for making extra work for you, and I TOTALLY understand if u can't upload it again; so, do as you want; I just wanted to say somehow I couldn't dl the mod (btw, why isn't the PM working?). U don't have to post the link either; I'll find it from the site if u upload it. Thanks whatever u do, and so sorry for the extra wish. :/

Only registered users are allowed to post

Now Online

None

Birthdays

shn_mrtn Send PM
birthday will Thursday, 25 May 2017

Vendi_HUN Send PM
birthday will Friday, 26 May 2017

Admiral Luke Send PM
birthday will Monday, 29 May 2017