Since december 2012 Battlestations: Midway is supported by GameSpy no longer. The only one possibility for Midway players is GameRanger. Please visit www.gameranger.com, download Gameranger client and make new account. You can find other Midway players in the Gameranger rooms. BS:M patch 1.1.1 is required to play online battles. Iowa Mission Pack and Midway Modders Mappacks 1 and 2 are recommended.

Performance Help!

Performance Help!

Hello All,
    I am new to Battlestations Pacific but I’m a veteran of Battlestations Midway. I recently purchased a copy BSP for my PC after enjoying many hours of playing BSM over the last few years. The install of BSP went off without a hitch. After defragging my rig and restarting it I fired up the game and starting tweaking my control set up for my joystick. Once that was finished I was ready to play. I started out in the Allied training grounds and everything was going great. Graphics were looking amazing and the sound of my Battleship’s guns was awesome. Then it happened…after about 10 minutes of gameplay my frame rates hit a brick wall. By brick wall I mean I couldn’t even use my mouse to click exit it was so slow. I tried everything I can think of to correct the issue but haven’t had any luck so far. My system specs are listed below…any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
RAM: 4 GB
Vid Card: ATI Radeon HD 6850
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Direct X: 9.0c
ATI Catalyst Control Center:  12.3 (All settings were turned off while playing)

I have all the latest drivers for everything listed above…again any help would be great.

Cheers!
Roman_Souljah

Roman_Souljah
Seaman
Activity Points: 30
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts
User info in posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Performance Help!

http://www.cpuid.com/

Download this tool and check that your GPU does not overheat. I had this problem at 1 stage and an extra well placed case fan solved it. You should consider getting XP SP3 too at some stage (though I highly doubt this is the cause of your problem as BSP ran fine on XP SP2 my side)

Axis_Crusher
BSmodHQ/Riot Police
Activity Points: 10280
ranks
useravatar
1683 Posts
User info in posts

I also think of a overheat problem.

When I got my computer to run BSP, I always had computer complete crash after ~10 minutes. Also with any game comparable in power need.

For the little story the seller wouldn't admit this could be the problem when I got it back for guarantee. Argued that he could launch similar power needed programs with no problem on the same computer. I asked him to show me and he launched a video on VLC...He was totally persuaded that a video needed the same resource as a video game as BSP or gta IV running. bj

Oomperial
Great Khan of Pacific
Activity Points: 2405
ranks
useravatar
347 Posts
User info in posts

GPU won't be a problem, I think, it's a solid card.
Your CPU, on the other hand is kinda low.

Changing your graphic settings to the lowest didn't help?
If so, it's your CPU, if it still freezes it's probably your GPU.

Xfire: thyske
Xbox Live: M0n3yBE
Battlestations: Midway (PC) : M0n3yBE
Company of Heroes : M0n3y

M0n3y
God.
Activity Points: 1943
ranks
useravatar
1141 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks for the feedback…once again it’s very much appreciated. I see the point that heat could be the issue as my processor is quite a few years old. On the other hand I’m a bit surprised that it would be an issue at all seeing how my processor exceeds the 3Ghz or higher single core processor recommended in the system requirements for BSP. Is it possible that the game only makes use of one core of a dual core processor? I’d also like to think that my vid card is more than capable of handling anything that BSP could throw at it, again based on the system requirements for BSP. I’ve been wrong before though…that’s why I’m grateful for your responses and ideas.
    Two things I’d like to mention that may shed a little light on the situation. First, I’ve noticed that I don’t need to be playing the game in order for the problem to happen. Shortly after starting the game the other day I received a phone call so the game was just sitting at the main menu with the movie playing on the right hand side of the screen. I sat there for about 5 minutes watching it while talking on the phone. After about 10 more minutes the movie started skipping really bad and again my mouse was so sluggish I had to quit out by using Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
    Secondly, I also play Star Wars: The Old Republic which has heavier system requirements than BSP. I can run the game with all graphic settings on high and I’ve played for hours at a time without so much as a hiccup in the game’s performance. The graphics look awesome and the game runs extremely smooth. The Old Republic is the newest game that I’m currently running on my system…which is another reason why I’m confused. You would think that if I were to have any issues it would be with The Old Republic.
I can’t thank you guys enough for the feedback…if after reading this you think of anything else please let me know.

Cheers!
Roman_Souljah

Roman_Souljah
Seaman
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts
User info in posts

This is what the site is for. You have ideas or problems, we're here to listen. I too have had my problems, and I got help.

Midway and Pacific as Adm2805

Adm2805
Battlestations Veteran
Commodore
Activity Points: 4172
ranks
useravatar
735 Posts
User info in posts

Temperatures my friend.... what are they?

Axis_Crusher
BSmodHQ/Riot Police
ranks
useravatar
1683 Posts
User info in posts

Try reducing your graphics and see if there's any difference in temperature.
If the program suggested doesn't work, try SpeedFan.

It's odd, though, that you can run SW:OR smoothly without any problems...

M0n3y
God.
ranks
useravatar
1141 Posts
User info in posts

I fried my 9800GT on BSP but other games ran without it overheating

Axis_Crusher
BSmodHQ/Riot Police
ranks
useravatar
1683 Posts
User info in posts

Here are my temp readings...

System Idle @ Desktop
GPU = 41 C
CPU = 35 C

At Main Menu in BSP
GPU = 44 C
CPU = 46 C

In Game (as the problem is happening)
GPU = 57 C
CPU = 54 C

Roman_Souljah
Seaman
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts
User info in posts

toy with the settings, reduce the resolution and if possible play windowed, if the problem still persist go to Eidos HQ with a shotgun in your hand and ask for some answers. It looks more like something conflicting in BSP then it is your hardware.

Support me on Twitter!

http://twitter.com/Tipsymahn260

Tipsy3000
American Idiota! ;D
Commodore
Activity Points: 943
ranks
useravatar
1029 Posts
User info in posts

Yeah, your temps are fine.
I reach over 75 with my GPU on BF3 and it still runs smoothly.

Have you tried re-installing the game?
Do you have the latest drivers for your GPU?

M0n3y
God.
ranks
useravatar
1141 Posts
User info in posts

Yea...I did a fresh re-install on Tuesday. I very recently updated my drivers so I sould have the very latest.
Last night I dialed down the graphic settings in game to see if that would help. I pretty much disabled everything...shadows,ocean reflection, etc. Texture and Objects set to medium rather high but I did leave Anti-A at 4x...I'm going to try it again with the Anti-A off and objects and texture set to low and see what happens.

Another thing I noticed last night, after running into my issue in game I quit out and restarted it. I made back to the first Eidos splash screen then it started acting jumpy again...didn't even make it to the main menu.

Roman_Souljah
Seaman
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info:

Total Users:
Newest User:
AnnaTitowa
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Online: 
evelyn9340

Forum Legend:

Topic
 New
 Active
 New/Active
 New/Locked
 New Sticky
 Locked/Active
 Active/Sticky
 Sticky/Locked
 Sticky/Active/Locked

Login Form

Battlestations Shoutbox

Latest Message: 1 week, 4 days ago
  • Legendary Da : Hi everyone, I have one (or two) quick question about BS:M modding. I try to figure out sp mapmaking, and my first act on it was to convert a MP map to SP. However I can only play as Allies in those maps. What parameter do I have to change to play those maps as Japanese in the respective map .mpak (And where is the parameter I have to change?)?
  • N_Trainz : G'day mates, I just wanted to let those who use Windows 10 and also for those who are having troubles getting the game launching because of Games for Windows LIVE, I made a tutorial of how to get it working successfully again like on Windows 8.1. Its on my channel and here's the link to the video. «link»
  • Mokeo67 : The dictator, I downloaded the mmod2txm and I added four slots to the fletcher and a couple to the lexington.Thanks for the help though.
  • The Dictator : Makeo67 i've explained how to find the unused slots in the topic and the mmod2txm it's a program that has been shared. However there aren't so many ships with unused platforms and sme of them are in wrong positions and for move them you need to know how to change the mmod file. But if you know how to do it you can make new platfors as you want. I've shared the south dakota disposition and this one is the most intersting in my opinion
  • N_Trainz : Well it looks like we have spammers again
  • Mokeo67 : No problem Thanks for the help
  • Axis_Crusher : Not really
  • Mokeo67 : Ok thanks anyway. Do you know who does?
  • Axis_Crusher : Unfortunately I don't deal with that part of modding
  • Mokeo67 : Sorry forgot the link. «link»
  • Mokeo67 : This is the forum topic I meant. The dictator said he found the unused slots in the TXM file obtainable with the mmod2txm, what is this and is it available to use.
  • Axis_Crusher : This is your best bet: «link»
  • Mokeo67 : Also I saw on the forum that ships have unused platform slots. How do I use these?
  • Mokeo67 : I tried changing the bogue class carrier to a yorktown class in the phillipene sea mission and one of two things happened. The mission either didnt change or the game crashed.
  • Axis_Crusher : No problem
  • Mokeo67 : That is what im talking about. Ill have a look at it later thanks for the help
  • Axis_Crusher : specific mission’s 3_scene mpak file by working on the .lua file. There is where the bonus unit is actually added into the mission (by the script). I haven't tried it myself so good luck.
  • Axis_Crusher : I assume you are talking about the bonus units that you unlock for certain missions by completing previous ones (like the B - 25’s in the 2nd Battle of Guadalcanal). The bonus units are unlocked by completing certain objectives in the campaign - so that is linked to your campaign progress. Since that cannot be altered you must look at the missiontree.lua file. This is where the unit will show up unlocked on the mission screen. There are references to allunitslock. Also you will have to edit the
  • Mokeo67 : Thank you I will look in this file. I did unlock all the campaign missions, all you have to do is delete the text after 'prerequisite' and it will unlock. But I havent figured out how to unlock the bonus units.
  • Axis_Crusher : I also prefer it being off, just as most of the BSM community. Most players, however prefer repair to be enabled so that is what we should do. Most of our maps it will be disabled through the script however. If you want to play with the game's repair settings you can find it under shipglobals.lua

Only registered users are allowed to post

Latest Posts

Now Online

Birthdays

HyTech Send PM
birthday will Sunday, 11 December 2016

Nemesisgr Send PM

R4tzer Send PM

Mad.fin.69 Send PM
birthday will Thursday, 15 December 2016