Since december 2012 Battlestations: Midway is supported by GameSpy no longer. The only one possibility for Midway players is GameRanger. Please visit www.gameranger.com, download Gameranger client and make new account. You can find other Midway players in the Gameranger rooms. BS:M patch 1.1.1 is required to play online battles. Iowa Mission Pack and Midway Modders Mappacks 1 and 2 are recommended.
Iwo Jima Map
Iwo Jima Map
Ok. Guys, I've come with a plan to make a map for BSM... A big one.
I know we already have 2 packs, and our community must be about 200 people big,
or something like that. Also, we're in 2013, so everything in this game shouts
"DEAD", but we still play in GameRanger and some other services, so maybe it's
worth the effort.
I know how to mod, but for the size and complexity of this map, I'd need help.
I know IJ was mainly a land battle, but extensive air battles for the air superiority
and shelling before the attack occured. Also, after a lot of research I know exactly which task forces
and which ships were in the battle... So here we go.
I think the entire battle could go in two steps: the shelling and the landing.
The US would have the four task groups, the seven battleships and the lot of carriers,
cruisers and destroyers they really had. Now, that's a LOT of ships, and a lot of planes,
so against it the IJN will be equipped with many planes. I mean, a fucking SHITLOAD of planes.
IJ had 7 airstrips, so these airstrips can have 4 hangars each, and each player controls 4
hangars (two in each airstrip).
Also, a lot of shipyards.
In addition to that, the island's beaches will be full of heavy fortresses (MANY HEAVY fortresses, in many levels,
with huge guns and long range) and absolutely covered by AA guns. Those defences must be extremely extensive
and powerful, since they are the only thing against the landing boats and shelling battleships.
The US must destroy those defences before sending the boats, or they'll be sunken. The air supperiority
is absolutely japanese, to keep balance (even if we have to give only 2 squads for each carrier or something
like that) so the battleships will be in a rush to do the shelling before the torpedoes
overcome their air defences.
You guys got the idea. Now here comes the problems.
1-Is it posible to work with transports and LSTs in MP? Not sure about the LSTs.
2-Is it possible to work with LCVPs in MP? Most important part. How does it work? If the
transports can't spawn LCVPs, they can be spawned near the transports, giving some
of the possible realism.
3-How is the transport/landing thingy made in MP?
4-The team balance will be a real problem. The task forces were truly huge, so the japanese
airpower must be BIG, and the coastal guns, strong.
5-Would it be possible to simulate land advances? Maybe programmed (or controlable) props (even though
I don't thing controllable would be possible), represdenting the USMC? I've seen some of them in the second
campaign mission, and they were destroyable. I know props can fight back, but if we can do props fight props,
we can program a true land battle, with the random factor (crew experiences) and american superiority to ensure
the victory (as long as they can LAND and PROTECT the marines!)
6-People. Lots of it. People to help me with it and people to play it!
I need help with the heightmaps, scripts, unit placement, whatever you can think of.
Together we could make a map Eidos would be jealous of
--Iwo Jima US Forces--
Task Group 58.1, Rear Admiral Joseph J. Clark
Hornet (Essex Class)
Wasp (Essex Class)
Bennington (Essex Class)
Belleau Wood (Independence Class)
Massachusetts (South Dakota Class)
Indiana (Indiana Class)
Vincennes (Cleveland Class)
Miami (Cleveland Class)
San Juan (Atlanta Class)
Task Group 58.2, Rear Admiral Ralph E. Davison
San Jacinto (Independence Class)
Task Group 58.3, Rear Admiral Frederick C. Sherman
Essex (Essex Class)
Cowpens (Independence Class)
Task Group 58.4, Rear Admiral Arthur W. Radford
Langley (Independence Class)
Cabot (Independence Class)
Re: Iwo Jima Map
It is not a bad concept at all. For my mod I already made the MP map Iwo Jima
Basically the US fleet has a few BB, DD, CA and CL with the support of four CVE launching Corsairs. The Japanese have the airfields, shipyards and very heavy land based artillery. The Japanese must destroy the Battleships while the US has to destroy all Iwo's land based defenses (heavy flak guns as well as 16" land based batteries)
- Board Stats:
- Total Topics:
- Total Polls:
- Total Posts:
- Posts this week:
- User Info:
- Total Users:
- Newest User:
- Members Online:
- Guests Online:
- There are no members online
- New Sticky
- Legendary Da : Hi everyone, I have one (or two) quick question about BS:M modding. I try to figure out sp mapmaking, and my first act on it was to convert a MP map to SP. However I can only play as Allies in those maps. What parameter do I have to change to play those maps as Japanese in the respective map .mpak (And where is the parameter I have to change?)?
- N_Trainz : G'day mates, I just wanted to let those who use Windows 10 and also for those who are having troubles getting the game launching because of Games for Windows LIVE, I made a tutorial of how to get it working successfully again like on Windows 8.1. Its on my channel and here's the link to the video. «link»
- Mokeo67 : The dictator, I downloaded the mmod2txm and I added four slots to the fletcher and a couple to the lexington.Thanks for the help though.
- The Dictator : Makeo67 i've explained how to find the unused slots in the topic and the mmod2txm it's a program that has been shared. However there aren't so many ships with unused platforms and sme of them are in wrong positions and for move them you need to know how to change the mmod file. But if you know how to do it you can make new platfors as you want. I've shared the south dakota disposition and this one is the most intersting in my opinion
- N_Trainz : Well it looks like we have spammers again
- Mokeo67 : No problem Thanks for the help
- Axis_Crusher : Not really
- Mokeo67 : Ok thanks anyway. Do you know who does?
- Axis_Crusher : Unfortunately I don't deal with that part of modding
- Mokeo67 : Sorry forgot the link. «link»
- Mokeo67 : This is the forum topic I meant. The dictator said he found the unused slots in the TXM file obtainable with the mmod2txm, what is this and is it available to use.
- Axis_Crusher : This is your best bet: «link»
- Mokeo67 : Also I saw on the forum that ships have unused platform slots. How do I use these?
- Mokeo67 : I tried changing the bogue class carrier to a yorktown class in the phillipene sea mission and one of two things happened. The mission either didnt change or the game crashed.
- Axis_Crusher : No problem
- Mokeo67 : That is what im talking about. Ill have a look at it later thanks for the help
- Axis_Crusher : specific mission’s 3_scene mpak file by working on the .lua file. There is where the bonus unit is actually added into the mission (by the script). I haven't tried it myself so good luck.
- Axis_Crusher : I assume you are talking about the bonus units that you unlock for certain missions by completing previous ones (like the B - 25’s in the 2nd Battle of Guadalcanal). The bonus units are unlocked by completing certain objectives in the campaign - so that is linked to your campaign progress. Since that cannot be altered you must look at the missiontree.lua file. This is where the unit will show up unlocked on the mission screen. There are references to allunitslock. Also you will have to edit the
- Mokeo67 : Thank you I will look in this file. I did unlock all the campaign missions, all you have to do is delete the text after 'prerequisite' and it will unlock. But I havent figured out how to unlock the bonus units.
- Axis_Crusher : I also prefer it being off, just as most of the BSM community. Most players, however prefer repair to be enabled so that is what we should do. Most of our maps it will be disabled through the script however. If you want to play with the game's repair settings you can find it under shipglobals.lua
Only registered users are allowed to post