Since december 2012 Battlestations: Midway is supported by GameSpy no longer. The only one possibility for Midway players is GameRanger. Please visit www.gameranger.com, download Gameranger client and make new account. You can find other Midway players in the Gameranger rooms. BS:M patch 1.1.1 is required to play online battles. Iowa Mission Pack and Midway Modders Mappacks 1 and 2 are recommended.

B-29 Superfortress

B-29 Superfortress

When I used the B-29 Superfortress, I noticed that compared to the B-17, only advantages B-29 has over B-17 is that it has more guns (which has 360 protection, but that is the same in B-17) and maybe a bit more armor, but that's it. It has 2 bomb bays, but only uses one of them, and has the same payload as B-17. Is using the Superfortress worth it, when there is comparably better upgrades to be used? Granted, the extra guns would be useful in certain aspects of gameplay, but upgrades for battleships, fighters, destroyers, etc are usually much better than their initial forms rather than improve a little bit, like Buffalo to Mustang, Kongo to Super Yamato, Renown to Montana, they all improve from their initial forms by a great deal. However, B-17 to B-29 only harbors small improvements. So is using this upgrade worth it?

dmr2011
Ensign
Activity Points: 271
ranks
useravatar
40 Posts
User info in posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: B-29 Superfortress

The B-29 is a fraction of a percentage faster on paper, has slightly more armour and health and more guns. In this sense if a flight of B-29's are intercepted they have about a 20% better chance of making it out than a flight of B-17's

Axis_Crusher
BSmodHQ/Riot Police
Activity Points: 10403
ranks
useravatar
1694 Posts
User info in posts

Ah, so B-29 is more likely to make it to the target to drop bombs over the B-17 if there is fighters and such. But how come the B-29 only uses it's back bomb may rather than using both bomb bays? Is it so that it wouldn't be overpowered? Or is it because of game coding prevents such things? (If it uses both, it can hold more bombs or hold bigger bombs, which would give it a greater advantage over other bombers payloads). The description says it can go higher than other planes, but it seems like it has the same flight ceiling as the other planes.

dmr2011
Ensign
ranks
useravatar
40 Posts
User info in posts

In real life the B-29 was obviously faster, had more range, could fly higher and carry more ordnance than the B-17. In the game's code the B-29 is simply classified  as a bomber and the game scripts sets this class to travel at a certain altitude. In this light a Betty and a B-29 will travel at the same altitude.

The other point, being weapons load has the B-29 carry the same bomb load as the B-17 simply for balancing reasons. The Nell already only carries 16 bombs compared to the B-25's 20 (was reduced to 16 in my mod) which is already a heavier load than Nells carried in real life. If the US and Japanese bombers would have carried the same payloads as in real life, there would not even have been a comparison. Depending on the mission range and requirements B-17's could carry roughly between 4000 and 8000lbs worth of bombs compared to the Nell's 1800lbs maximum payload. The B-29 makes this gap much bigger with its 20000lbs payload compared to the Liz's maximum load of 4400-8800lbs.

Therefore you can clearly see that if both sides had historical payloads and were bombing each other there would be no contest and for this reason the bombers are maxed out at 20x450lbs bombs

Axis_Crusher
BSmodHQ/Riot Police
ranks
useravatar
1694 Posts
User info in posts

So if B-29 was more like reality, or even 40 bombs (20 per bay) it would dominate, as no other bombers could match this. So if I wanted a bomber with more punch, I should use Liz, cause it uses kg over lbs, in cost of less armor/guns. (On side note, if they had the reality payloads, would it lag because the amount of bombs/explosions going on?)

dmr2011
Ensign
ranks
useravatar
40 Posts
User info in posts

Firstly the Liz has not any more punch than the B-29. It is the Japanese equivalent in terms or armour, armamant, payload and speed.

More bombs won't make the game lag, except if you are right next to the explosions all going off at the same time from at least 100 planes.

Also you are right about the kg's over lbs but the conversion is already done so the physical payload is still the same.

Axis_Crusher
BSmodHQ/Riot Police
ranks
useravatar
1694 Posts
User info in posts

Oh, I thought 20 250 kg bombs would do more damage than 20 450 lbs bombs, in cost of having less guns (but does Liz guns do more damage then the B-29 guns so they are more equal? Though B-29 has better coverage, as the guns can fire at most angles, where Liz can't fire at spots B-29 can).

dmr2011
Ensign
ranks
useravatar
40 Posts
User info in posts

250kg bombs are pretty much the same as 450lbs bombs so no difference there. The B-29 does have better gun coverage and more guns, but in BSmodHQ 3.0 the dorsal gun is a 30mm cannon, capable of even dealing out serious damage to submarines. The G5N in this mod has slightly less armour values than the B-29 but does have a bit more hit points, making it slightly tougher.

Most US fighters being only armed with .50 calibre machine guns or 1-2 cannons generally do struggle with attacking formations of these planes, whereas B-29's are quite vulnerable to the Japanese dedicated interceptors such as the Raiden, Shinden and Gekko that are armed with very powerful cannons.

Axis_Crusher
BSmodHQ/Riot Police
ranks
useravatar
1694 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Dormant:
User Info:

Total Users:
Newest User:
ngan34017136902821
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Online: 
There are no members online

Forum Legend:

Topic
 New
 Active
 New/Active
 New/Locked
 New Sticky
 Locked/Active
 Active/Sticky
 Sticky/Locked
 Sticky/Active/Locked

Login Form

Battlestations Shoutbox

Latest Message: 2 days, 1 hour ago
  • N_Trainz : Legendary Da: Its now live on Moddb and here is the link, requires a Batlestations Midway game to be installed to work «link» - midway - skinpack/addons/international - bsm - collection - light - version Enjoy
  • Runsva : are we still talikg about the zyy modding pack??
  • N_Trainz : Yeah I wanted to do this, but the installers were being a pain giving me errors about something. I finally got it working, and just figured out how to make the updater now since it'll be two parts with one containing the misc files and the other mostly the mpak files. It'll be a stand - alone DLC mod just like the Bismarck Mission Pack was. Like I said I plan to have it all completed and uploaded by this weekend
  • Legendary Da : No, no, not problem at all; I am already grateful that you were thinking about this subject, I can wait as long as you need to. Thanks for the help (again), and feel no need to rush this subject; we all know that the life comes first. :)
  • N_Trainz : Hope you won't mind the wait, it'll be worth it if you ask me, and yes I do understand that you can't download due to that cap Mege has. I heard the PM was down, but haven't tried it as I been busy helping the BSmodHQ team with things and then those that are life - in - general.
  • N_Trainz : To Legendary Da: I been trying to work on that actually, what I'm experiencing is the pack size> I already made it a light version of the mod, so hopefully this weekend maybe, might be sooner
  • Legendary Da : To N_Trainz: So, um... I can't exactly download from Mega for some reason; so could u upload that mod to Moddb? I am sorry for making extra work for you, and I TOTALLY understand if u can't upload it again; so, do as you want; I just wanted to say somehow I couldn't dl the mod (btw, why isn't the PM working?). U don't have to post the link either; I'll find it from the site if u upload it. Thanks whatever u do, and so sorry for the extra wish. :/
  • Runsva : Anyone there??
  • Runsva : That is on the zyy modding pack v1.0.3 forum.
  • Runsva : If that hepls...
  • Runsva : The link that I donloaded from is the one message before the last one on page 4 on this forum because all the others are for some reason down.
  • YamatoFavor : Zyy eh... doubt I installed successfully and seems like I lost the build
  • Axis_Crusher : Well I am aware of that mod, but I've never installed it. I'll ask around if I can find someone that successfully installed it.
  • Runsva : The zyy modding pack v1.0.3
  • Axis_Crusher : Just so we're on the same page which mod are you trying to install?
  • Runsva : Game*
  • Runsva : Do i need to make a copy of my gamr folder like Battlestations Midway?
  • Runsva : No I didn't install it into a separate directory, it is in steamapps - - > common like any other steam game.
  • Runsva : pls help me fix it i really want to play this mod :D
  • Runsva : and i copied every file to the mpak folder in the bsp directory, and when i try to run it it just crahes onthe main menu screen

Only registered users are allowed to post

Now Online

None

Birthdays

BusyOCAMPO Send PM
birthday will tomorrow

samuraj Send PM
birthday will Wednesday, 01 March 2017

Gabriel_03 Send PM
birthday will Thursday, 02 March 2017