Since december 2012 Battlestations: Midway is supported by GameSpy no longer. The only one possibility for Midway players is GameRanger. Please visit www.gameranger.com, download Gameranger client and make new account. You can find other Midway players in the Gameranger rooms. BS:M patch 1.1.1 is required to play online battles. Iowa Mission Pack and Midway Modders Mappacks 1 and 2 are recommended.
Both side's subs have differences, so I wanted to find out who has the edge in underwater warfare.
USA: Their subs are fairly forgiving, having torpedo tubes in the back in case you overshoot your target or dealing with multiple ships at once. They have two artillery guns on deck, allowing it to be useful for capturing supply bases and taking out transport ships if torpedo tubes are expended. The Gato class has more torpedo supplies and faster compared to Japanese Subs.
- Get's 2 artillery guns.
Gato has speed and torpedoes.
Tubes forward and back.
Japanese: Their subs have ALL of the torpedo tubes pointed forward, making it useful if dealing with heavy ships that needs sinking fast, but would require fancy maneuvering if a ship gets behind you, and the I-400 isn't known for it's maneuverability. Both Type B and I-400 has seaplanes, which has bombs, making up for it's single artillery gun and increases it's range, gives cover from depth charge planes, and allowing strikes on supply bases and transport vessels. (Type B has Jakes, geared up with a pair of 250kg bombs, while the I-400 gets Seiran, which has a 800kg bomb, allowing it to act like a dive bomber if necessary, plus it has 3 guns, 2 forward and 1 back, compared to other seaplane's 2 guns, and letting it serve as a interceptor against unescorted Skytrains.
- Has Seaplanes.
Forward torpedo tubes.
I-400 gets to hang out at crush depth longer, plus has decent AA compared to other subs as a bonus.
So overall, they seem fairly balanced, USA gets a pair of artillery pieces for surface work, Japan get's seaplanes with bombs to make up for having one artillery piece (though seaplanes require command points), different torpedo tube layouts for different ways of engagements, etc. So does it just depend on the user's preferred play-style, or is there something I'm missing out?
Nope pretty much preferred play style. For me I prefer the US as you get stern tubes and helps alot if a destroyer is on your tail. I also much prefer to stay submerged as long as possible so its my preferred choice. Even as IJN I almost never use the seaplanes.
I used the subs bit more in skirmish, and I thought the Gato seems better at sinking ships in a battlegroup thanks to it's large supply of torpedoes and tube layout, as you can sail into the middle of the group, sink or damage any ship you can using both forward and stern tubes, and let a battleship/cruiser group mop up the ships that survived, while the I-400 is more of a siege sub, as it can hang out next to a shipyard and fire at any that spawns, with its 8 forward tubes and can loiter longer than Gato as it has more air, plus it can escape to crush depth and stay there longer.
- Board Stats:
- Total Topics:
- Total Polls:
- Total Posts:
- User Info:
- Total Users:
- Newest User:
- Members Online:
- Guests Online:
- There are no members online
- New Sticky
- Axis_Crusher : Bismarck Mission Pack incoming!
- jon_man0499 : Happy belated New year to all
- Axis_Crusher : HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
- YamatoFavor : Would be great if the models are from Wows
- alantay11 : Is there a way to fill up the empty ship slots when using SurgeonSasha's Yamato? Or is it my game not showing the models?
- Axis_Crusher : Thanks, but we already implemented both ships in the Advanced Warfare Pack a few months ago...
- SurgeonSasha : Северная каролина («link» ямато 1945 («link»
- Legendary Da : Hi everyone, I have one (or two) quick question about BS:M modding. I try to figure out sp mapmaking, and my first act on it was to convert a MP map to SP. However I can only play as Allies in those maps. What parameter do I have to change to play those maps as Japanese in the respective map .mpak (And where is the parameter I have to change?)?
- N_Trainz : G'day mates, I just wanted to let those who use Windows 10 and also for those who are having troubles getting the game launching because of Games for Windows LIVE, I made a tutorial of how to get it working successfully again like on Windows 8.1. Its on my channel and here's the link to the video. «link»
- Mokeo67 : The dictator, I downloaded the mmod2txm and I added four slots to the fletcher and a couple to the lexington.Thanks for the help though.
- The Dictator : Makeo67 i've explained how to find the unused slots in the topic and the mmod2txm it's a program that has been shared. However there aren't so many ships with unused platforms and sme of them are in wrong positions and for move them you need to know how to change the mmod file. But if you know how to do it you can make new platfors as you want. I've shared the south dakota disposition and this one is the most intersting in my opinion
- N_Trainz : Well it looks like we have spammers again
- Mokeo67 : No problem Thanks for the help
- Axis_Crusher : Not really
- Mokeo67 : Ok thanks anyway. Do you know who does?
- Axis_Crusher : Unfortunately I don't deal with that part of modding
- Mokeo67 : Sorry forgot the link. «link»
- Mokeo67 : This is the forum topic I meant. The dictator said he found the unused slots in the TXM file obtainable with the mmod2txm, what is this and is it available to use.
- Axis_Crusher : This is your best bet: «link»
- Mokeo67 : Also I saw on the forum that ships have unused platform slots. How do I use these?
Only registered users are allowed to post