Since december 2012 Battlestations: Midway is supported by GameSpy no longer. The only one possibility for Midway players is GameRanger. Please visit www.gameranger.com, download Gameranger client and make new account. You can find other Midway players in the Gameranger rooms. BS:M patch 1.1.1 is required to play online battles. Iowa Mission Pack and Midway Modders Mappacks 1 and 2 are recommended.

Is there any way to shrink and offset the UI yet?

Is there any way to shrink and offset the UI yet?

I'm just wondering if anyone has found a way yet to manipulate the UI elements, usually these are among the easiest things to mod in a game but unfortunately it's apparently near impossible to do it in BSP for some reason.

I'm asking because the way the UI is set up ingame is really annoying-
http://i.imgur.com/burAp9F.jpg

Everything is pushed away from corners to the center of the screen and it's also very large, obscuring the view of your ship quite often, especially with the bottom right elements. I know this is a console port so that's why it looks so large and centered, made to fit on TV's but for an up close 1920x1080p res it just gets really annoying.

So I made a rough image of what I think would be an ideal UI - smaller, and relegated to the corners of the screen, so you can see more of what's happening in the center outwards without too much obscurity now, but the text and icons are still legible.

http://i.imgur.com/ZrfOZfw.jpg

Now that was slightly fun to make, just imagining how it would look, but how feasible is something like this in the current stages of modding BSP? Is it at all possible? I would settle at most for just moving all the 4 main elements to the corners at the very least, just to clear up space in the center a bit more.

fleetplanet
Ensign
Activity Points: 271
ranks
useravatar
44 Posts
User info in posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Is there any way to shrink and offset the UI yet?

I have played around with the UI a while back and made a few UI mods though they were shelved. It is totally possible to move UI elements around but as for the size that is nearly impossible to change, though there is always a possibility.

I might actually look into this for the Last Stand Pack

Axis_Crusher
BSmodHQ/Riot Police
Activity Points: 10280
ranks
useravatar
1683 Posts
User info in posts

Would you be able to tell me what files I have to modify so I can at the very least offset all the UI elements to the corners of the screen? I would hugely appreciate it, thanks.

I mean if you can't or if its too complicated (my BSP modding experience is basically nil) then I could totally wait for your next mod release if it will include that, I'm in no rush with this, I just like the idea of modding the game wherever I can. Speaking of that, do you think there's any way to get wreckage of sunken ships to not disappear and fall through the map? That would be interesting to experiment with.

I'm guessing these parameters are all located in the game files like MLS_Resource is, however I've only recently finally been able to get BSP Ripper working so I haven't had a thorough look into all the games files yet.

fleetplanet
Ensign
ranks
useravatar
44 Posts
User info in posts

As far as I remember the 2 mpaks you need to work with are
skel_Init.mpak
GvSpace_Init.mpak

Axis_Crusher
BSmodHQ/Riot Police
Activity Points: 10280
ranks
useravatar
1683 Posts
User info in posts

What about the free camera? I noticed it in the '"devinputs" option under the controls menu. But after assigning a key...nothing happened. In fact, the only things in there that did anything were the (slightly derpy) moviecam and change game speed. I was disappointed as a lot of those things looked pretty cool. So, is it just me?

commander1234
Lieutenant
Activity Points: 954
ranks
useravatar
149 Posts
User info in posts

Axis_Crusher wrote:

As far as I remember the 2 mpaks you need to work with are
skel_Init.mpak
GvSpace_Init.mpak

Thanks, I'll poke around in there and try not to crash the game afterwards.

commander1234 wrote:

What about the free camera? I noticed it in the '"devinputs" option under the controls menu. But after assigning a key...nothing happened. In fact, the only things in there that did anything were the (slightly derpy) moviecam and change game speed. I was disappointed as a lot of those things looked pretty cool. So, is it just me?

I also played around with those settings quite a bit and all I got working was the 3 game speed options as well as the movie camera keys, Toggle2 works in training mode only and you can use it with deck and target camera for nice HUD free pics of ships, however in other modes it is unresponsive to any attempt to exit it unlike the first Toggle setting so be careful with that if its mapped as you have to restart your game once you press it since you cant access any menus.

Targeted and deck mode work with the first toggle mode though and you can rotate around those points by mapping that to the arrow keys but for some reason I cant get it to behave properly and after one or two full rotations the camera ends up in the water or pointing at the sky with no way to point it back down and you have to press toggle cam key again to reset it. Drop, Move cam next and previous item also works but again you end up in the water after moving around too much.

Overall the movie camera keys function surprisingly well, if only there was a way to be able to point it back up or down, its finicky like that, but fun to mess around with. Deck cam is by far my favorite although it also makes it easier to notice graphical glitches on the ships like doorways, shadows and other textures flickering rapidly.

fleetplanet
Ensign
ranks
useravatar
44 Posts
User info in posts

deck cam?
wow nice
nvr tried modding ui

Blitzkrieg
Lieutenant
Activity Points: 865
ranks
useravatar
157 Posts
User info in posts

fleetplanet wrote:

Would you be able to tell me what files I have to modify so I can at the very least offset all the UI elements to the corners of the screen? I would hugely appreciate it, thanks.

I mean if you can't or if its too complicated (my BSP modding experience is basically nil) then I could totally wait for your next mod release if it will include that, I'm in no rush with this, I just like the idea of modding the game wherever I can. Speaking of that, do you think there's any way to get wreckage of sunken ships to not disappear and fall through the map? That would be interesting to experiment with.

I'm guessing these parameters are all located in the game files like MLS_Resource is, however I've only recently finally been able to get BSP Ripper working so I haven't had a thorough look into all the games files yet.

the ship not falling through the map thing could be done
i will try to make it possible.
soon i will release this mod im making
xi pack
25 new maps and 40 new units.all free for this awesome community

Blitzkrieg
Lieutenant
ranks
useravatar
157 Posts
User info in posts

Wow, that's a lot of stuff.

commander1234
Lieutenant
ranks
useravatar
149 Posts
User info in posts

Any chance of a teaser blitz? IE a screenshot of a new unit?

Shazer
Lieutenant
Activity Points: 648
ranks
useravatar
81 Posts
User info in posts

all are in making so u gotta waitt like a few days
developing maps currently
in this mod there are a lot of units
half are modern
jets,helis(if the code is fully cracked) and somhow make a heatseeking missile
i could base it off the fido
other are real ww2 units
the exact look of a real essex will be made
and 3 huge maps
ALMOST over 250 kms huge
just started on them
they just blank maps for now
and u want teaser?
but 1 small problem
my lightwave mmod thing is f$%^#$ so idk what i gotta do to get it back up n running
units will have to wait until i solve this problem
well and i also am making the grand,the elusive,the awesome,Bismarck class
the models im making are being made from scratch looking at the real images
i also made a low poly one for bsm users to import
Note That All The Dlcs are included
all maps and all units(it will take a while coz im a bit slow n steady type of guy)
next im thinking sci fi space warfare ae
heres ye essex class design
http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprint … ex__1944_/
not hard to make considering its easy as modding existing yorktown
thats right.same hull thing ladies ae
it would be made faster with the help of some experienced modders

Blitzkrieg
Lieutenant
ranks
useravatar
157 Posts
User info in posts

Hey wasnt aware thats what state its at lol but awesome

Shazer
Lieutenant
Activity Points: 648
ranks
useravatar
81 Posts
User info in posts

well not a problem lad
haven't played a single game and been doing this thing for three days
i making maps through one simple method
cloning empty campaign sea maps like battle of santa cruz,etc
heres one of the new planes im adding
http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprint … ellbomber/

Blitzkrieg
Lieutenant
ranks
useravatar
157 Posts
User info in posts

We need an Arado Blitz to go with the Kikka/Me-262 ag

commander1234
Lieutenant
ranks
useravatar
149 Posts
User info in posts

Blitzkrieg wrote:

the ship not falling through the map thing could be done
i will try to make it possible.
soon i will release this mod im making
xi pack
25 new maps and 40 new units.all free for this awesome community

Woah that sounds awesome. And you say the ships not falling can be achieved? I only really want to mod that to see wreckage realistically on the shores of islands not floating through and disappearing to Davy Jones' locker right before my eyes, it doesn't make as much sense to keep the wreckage showing out in the deep sea though I suppose, since you would only be able to see it with a submarine, but that would be kinda cool too.

I just thought, of something, maybe prolonged sink time might be something cool too, so randomly a ship that's out of the game can still sink on your screen for a lot longer than it does now ingame, just to add some additional visual element and variety I don't know if it that is possible though.

fleetplanet
Ensign
ranks
useravatar
44 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info:

Total Users:
Newest User:
voledVaH
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Online: 
There are no members online

Forum Legend:

Topic
 New
 Active
 New/Active
 New/Locked
 New Sticky
 Locked/Active
 Active/Sticky
 Sticky/Locked
 Sticky/Active/Locked

Login Form

Battlestations Shoutbox

Latest Message: 1 week, 3 days ago
  • Legendary Da : Hi everyone, I have one (or two) quick question about BS:M modding. I try to figure out sp mapmaking, and my first act on it was to convert a MP map to SP. However I can only play as Allies in those maps. What parameter do I have to change to play those maps as Japanese in the respective map .mpak (And where is the parameter I have to change?)?
  • N_Trainz : G'day mates, I just wanted to let those who use Windows 10 and also for those who are having troubles getting the game launching because of Games for Windows LIVE, I made a tutorial of how to get it working successfully again like on Windows 8.1. Its on my channel and here's the link to the video. «link»
  • Mokeo67 : The dictator, I downloaded the mmod2txm and I added four slots to the fletcher and a couple to the lexington.Thanks for the help though.
  • The Dictator : Makeo67 i've explained how to find the unused slots in the topic and the mmod2txm it's a program that has been shared. However there aren't so many ships with unused platforms and sme of them are in wrong positions and for move them you need to know how to change the mmod file. But if you know how to do it you can make new platfors as you want. I've shared the south dakota disposition and this one is the most intersting in my opinion
  • N_Trainz : Well it looks like we have spammers again
  • Mokeo67 : No problem Thanks for the help
  • Axis_Crusher : Not really
  • Mokeo67 : Ok thanks anyway. Do you know who does?
  • Axis_Crusher : Unfortunately I don't deal with that part of modding
  • Mokeo67 : Sorry forgot the link. «link»
  • Mokeo67 : This is the forum topic I meant. The dictator said he found the unused slots in the TXM file obtainable with the mmod2txm, what is this and is it available to use.
  • Axis_Crusher : This is your best bet: «link»
  • Mokeo67 : Also I saw on the forum that ships have unused platform slots. How do I use these?
  • Mokeo67 : I tried changing the bogue class carrier to a yorktown class in the phillipene sea mission and one of two things happened. The mission either didnt change or the game crashed.
  • Axis_Crusher : No problem
  • Mokeo67 : That is what im talking about. Ill have a look at it later thanks for the help
  • Axis_Crusher : specific mission’s 3_scene mpak file by working on the .lua file. There is where the bonus unit is actually added into the mission (by the script). I haven't tried it myself so good luck.
  • Axis_Crusher : I assume you are talking about the bonus units that you unlock for certain missions by completing previous ones (like the B - 25’s in the 2nd Battle of Guadalcanal). The bonus units are unlocked by completing certain objectives in the campaign - so that is linked to your campaign progress. Since that cannot be altered you must look at the missiontree.lua file. This is where the unit will show up unlocked on the mission screen. There are references to allunitslock. Also you will have to edit the
  • Mokeo67 : Thank you I will look in this file. I did unlock all the campaign missions, all you have to do is delete the text after 'prerequisite' and it will unlock. But I havent figured out how to unlock the bonus units.
  • Axis_Crusher : I also prefer it being off, just as most of the BSM community. Most players, however prefer repair to be enabled so that is what we should do. Most of our maps it will be disabled through the script however. If you want to play with the game's repair settings you can find it under shipglobals.lua

Only registered users are allowed to post

Latest Posts

Now Online

None

Birthdays

xBustercardx Send PM
birthday is today!

HyTech Send PM
birthday will Sunday, 11 December 2016

Nemesisgr Send PM
birthday will Sunday, 11 December 2016

R4tzer Send PM