Since december 2012 Battlestations: Midway is supported by GameSpy no longer. The only one possibility for Midway players is GameRanger. Please visit www.gameranger.com, download Gameranger client and make new account. You can find other Midway players in the Gameranger rooms. BS:M patch 1.1.1 is required to play online battles. Iowa Mission Pack and Midway Modders Mappacks 1 and 2 are recommended.

Ironbottom Sound preview script

Ironbottom Sound preview script

Well, with Ironbottom Sound nearing completion, I figured that a preview should be made for this map.  Well, I will understand if this script is declined, but I figured I should share my ideas anyway.

(Black background)

August 9, 1942
USS Quincy (CA-39) is sunk in the Battle of Savo Island
(clip of a CA in action, then being sunk by Jap cruisers)

(Black again)

November 13, 1942
USS Juneau (CL-52), sunk by I-26 after being crippled by a surface engagement
(Clip of sub on patrol, then it puts its periscope up, zooms in on crippled Juneau, fires, then a shot of her sinking)
(This bit in particular will also debut the new silouetting bit subs now have on this map)

(Black again)

Around this time, the USS Cushing (DD-376), is ambushed and sunk by 3 japanese destroyers

(respective action)

(Black)

November 30, 1942

USS Northampton, CA-26, sunk by destroyers in battle of Tassafaronga

(Respective action. Taking a bunch of torps, and sinking)

February 1, 1943

USS De Haven, DD-469, is sunk by an air attack

(Cycle of action and black repeats)

October 11, 1942

Destroyer Fubuki is sunk in the Battle of Cape Esperance

(Action, then black)

November 15, 1942

Kirishima is sunk by USS Washington

(Action, then black)

November 15, 1942

Also a victim to the USS Washington is the Destroyer Ayanami
(just a shot from binnocular view of Washington sinking it)

November 30, 1942

The Destroyer Takanami is sunk in the battle of Tassafaronga by USS Minneapolis

(Action, then black)

What do all of these ships have in common?

They were all sunk in an area of water known as Sealark sound

(Action in background)

But when the Guadalcanal campaign is over, for more than 40 ships, and hundreds of sailors, this small patch of ocean becomes their final resting place

And when the war is over, Sealark Sound recieves a new, more appropriate name.

Relive the fights to the death, of one of the most legendary battlefields of World War II
(Fades)

(Appears) (shot of sinking ship, preferribly Kirishima, in background)
IRONBOTTOM SOUND

Of course, that is how I would do it from a historical standpoint.  I don't know if the preview has already started being worked on, so this thread might be ignored all together.  But at least my idea is out.

BTW, I still have gotten no comments on my idea for the picture that appears on the map seletion page, so I will post it here as well:

A view through a submarine periscope, looking at an Atlanta class CL.  The reason:  One of the biggest tragidies of Ironbottom Sound was the sinking of the USS Juneau (CL-52), an Atlanta class CL.  The USS Juneau, crippled by the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal in November 1942, limps off the battlefield, only to be sunk by a submarine.  The picture would be done like this not only to give a historically accurate picture, but as a tribute of sorts to the 800+ men who died that fateful night.  In fact, only 10 of the Juneau's crew survived!

Coming soon

Triviaman
Spam Police
Administrator
Activity Points: 3145
ranks
useravatar
1632 Posts
User info in posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Ironbottom Sound preview script

No offense to you Trivia but I don't think its needed anymore. We are planning on releasing maps very soon. So no need to make a preview which takes hours to make.

Skype is Katarya4
Playing BSM as Katarya
BF-2 as Ratakarta
COD4 as Katarya
COD5 as Katarya or Mr. K depending on what profile.
COD6 as Fearbunny.
COD7 as Fearbunny.
BFBC2 as Fearbunny.
NF as Katarya.
Steam: Katarya

Katarya
Cute Doggy Man
Activity Points: 597
ranks
useravatar
1179 Posts
User info in posts

Oh...ok.  I understand.  But like I said, I like sharing my ideas. But, speaking hypothetically, can you tell me what you think of it anyway, like if it was accepted

Triviaman
Spam Police
Administrator
ranks
useravatar
1632 Posts
User info in posts

Well I was thinking of a going back to the no script idea and letting Est work his magic as he is good at that.

Skype is Katarya4
Playing BSM as Katarya
BF-2 as Ratakarta
COD4 as Katarya
COD6 as Fearbunny.
COD7 as Fearbunny.
BFBC2 as Fearbunny.
NF as Katarya.

Katarya
Cute Doggy Man
ranks
useravatar
1179 Posts
User info in posts

Is it my fault I like sharing my ideas!?  And I did it like this as a tribute to the hundreds of men for whom Ironbottom sound became their final resting place!

Triviaman
Spam Police
Administrator
ranks
useravatar
1632 Posts
User info in posts

Trivia calm down. You asked for what I thought and I said it. Over 20 Million people died from the Soviet Union alone in WW2. Compare that to some 800 on the Juneau. Yes it is sad but its war and torpedoing a warship is perfectly in the rules of war as it is sinking a warship of the enemy. For example who cares about Shokaku or Shinano or Kongo?All were torpedoed by submarines and sunk them. Or Stalingrad 265,000+ German and Allied troops were encircled and over 220,000 fell prisoner or was killed.

Skype is Katarya4
Playing BSM as Katarya
BF-2 as Ratakarta
COD4 as Katarya
COD6 as Fearbunny.
COD7 as Fearbunny.
BFBC2 as Fearbunny.
NF as Katarya.

Katarya
Cute Doggy Man
ranks
useravatar
1179 Posts
User info in posts

Ok.  I'm sorry i got a little upset.  I just wanted my ideas heard, and I get it... this one stinks.

If it is possible, tell whoever is in charge here to delete this whole thread, I get it.

Triviaman
Spam Police
Administrator
ranks
useravatar
1632 Posts
User info in posts

Sorry guys - very busy last days. Ironbottom Sound definitely should have his own trailer, but last days we did many things with maps pictures tests uploads etc etc... So there is no IBS trailer ao Maybe i'll try to record and edit all these movies soon.

admin
Activity Points: 5
useravatar
0 Posts
User info in posts

So... you do like the script admin?

BTW Katarya, I did somethinking, so here is what I believe.  Rather than previews, we should still make these little movies for the maps not as previews.. but rather as... advertisements of sorts, to let people know about us.

Triviaman
Spam Police
Administrator
ranks
useravatar
1632 Posts
User info in posts

Triviaman wrote:

So... you do like the script admin?

Yes - again nice job with this ab

admin
Activity Points: 5
useravatar
0 Posts
User info in posts

Thank you.  However, out of respect, from now on I will only release preview scripts with your consent, seeing as Katarya said you made good previews before I came around.  Also, I will only do them for maps released from TBMD.

Triviaman
Spam Police
Administrator
ranks
useravatar
1632 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Dormant:
User Info:

Total Users:
Newest User:
kelly0947
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Online: 
There are no members online

Forum Legend:

Topic
 New
 Active
 New/Active
 New/Locked
 New Sticky
 Locked/Active
 Active/Sticky
 Sticky/Locked
 Sticky/Active/Locked

Login Form

Battlestations Shoutbox

Latest Message: 6 days, 4 hours ago
  • Legendary Da : Hi everyone, I have one (or two) quick question about BS:M modding. I try to figure out sp mapmaking, and my first act on it was to convert a MP map to SP. However I can only play as Allies in those maps. What parameter do I have to change to play those maps as Japanese in the respective map .mpak (And where is the parameter I have to change?)?
  • N_Trainz : G'day mates, I just wanted to let those who use Windows 10 and also for those who are having troubles getting the game launching because of Games for Windows LIVE, I made a tutorial of how to get it working successfully again like on Windows 8.1. Its on my channel and here's the link to the video. «link»
  • Mokeo67 : The dictator, I downloaded the mmod2txm and I added four slots to the fletcher and a couple to the lexington.Thanks for the help though.
  • The Dictator : Makeo67 i've explained how to find the unused slots in the topic and the mmod2txm it's a program that has been shared. However there aren't so many ships with unused platforms and sme of them are in wrong positions and for move them you need to know how to change the mmod file. But if you know how to do it you can make new platfors as you want. I've shared the south dakota disposition and this one is the most intersting in my opinion
  • N_Trainz : Well it looks like we have spammers again
  • Mokeo67 : No problem Thanks for the help
  • Axis_Crusher : Not really
  • Mokeo67 : Ok thanks anyway. Do you know who does?
  • Axis_Crusher : Unfortunately I don't deal with that part of modding
  • Mokeo67 : Sorry forgot the link. «link»
  • Mokeo67 : This is the forum topic I meant. The dictator said he found the unused slots in the TXM file obtainable with the mmod2txm, what is this and is it available to use.
  • Axis_Crusher : This is your best bet: «link»
  • Mokeo67 : Also I saw on the forum that ships have unused platform slots. How do I use these?
  • Mokeo67 : I tried changing the bogue class carrier to a yorktown class in the phillipene sea mission and one of two things happened. The mission either didnt change or the game crashed.
  • Axis_Crusher : No problem
  • Mokeo67 : That is what im talking about. Ill have a look at it later thanks for the help
  • Axis_Crusher : specific mission’s 3_scene mpak file by working on the .lua file. There is where the bonus unit is actually added into the mission (by the script). I haven't tried it myself so good luck.
  • Axis_Crusher : I assume you are talking about the bonus units that you unlock for certain missions by completing previous ones (like the B - 25’s in the 2nd Battle of Guadalcanal). The bonus units are unlocked by completing certain objectives in the campaign - so that is linked to your campaign progress. Since that cannot be altered you must look at the missiontree.lua file. This is where the unit will show up unlocked on the mission screen. There are references to allunitslock. Also you will have to edit the
  • Mokeo67 : Thank you I will look in this file. I did unlock all the campaign missions, all you have to do is delete the text after 'prerequisite' and it will unlock. But I havent figured out how to unlock the bonus units.
  • Axis_Crusher : I also prefer it being off, just as most of the BSM community. Most players, however prefer repair to be enabled so that is what we should do. Most of our maps it will be disabled through the script however. If you want to play with the game's repair settings you can find it under shipglobals.lua

Only registered users are allowed to post

Latest Posts