Since december 2012 Battlestations: Midway is supported by GameSpy no longer. The only one possibility for Midway players is GameRanger. Please visit www.gameranger.com, download Gameranger client and make new account. You can find other Midway players in the Gameranger rooms. BS:M patch 1.1.1 is required to play online battles. Iowa Mission Pack and Midway Modders Mappacks 1 and 2 are recommended.

making the modding guide availible for all BS.eu members

Poll
should BS.eu release its guide to all members
yes
36% (4 votes)
No
63% (7 votes)

Total : 11

Poll created on: 30-Oct-09 23:30:51

making the modding guide availible for all BS.eu members

the discussion has arose between tipsy and me that we should make the guide availible to all BS.eu members

i will list the main positive effect and negative effect should we release it

positive effect

obviously if more people will know how to make a map, more maps will be made

negative effect

well, aldough the modding guide only contains info about how to make a level, it does explane how some of the basic coding works.
meaning that cheaters that tryed to find a way to edit gamestats yet failed might be succesfull when they download the guide.

Gamming-for-dummys
useravatar
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: making the modding guide availible for all BS.eu members

Well GFD, I'd have say that the negative effect you stated is pretty huge. Although most of the gamers here are honest, by having it freely available to anyone who registers on the site, you never know who might get their hands on it. So, I'd rather error on the side of caution and keep the current system where you guys "screen" the people who have access to it. If its getting to where the two of you are overwhelmed with requests, you might consider bringing in a couple of the long time members that you trust and add them as part of your "screening" team.

So, because of the large potential for abuse, I'd have to vote a big 'NO' on open access. I understand how you guys might like to have it available to more people; however, I don't think having more maps is worth the chance of making it easier for cheaters to ruin this fine game.

http://www.battlestations.eu/images/phocagallery/agent-x-wwii-pics-2b3a/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_phoca_thumb_l_Shinano2.jpg
BSM Name: AGENT_X    Skype Name: agent-86x    BF2 Name: Agent-86    WiC Name: AGENT X

AGENT X
Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Lieutenant
Activity Points: 5
ranks
useravatar
142 Posts
User info in posts

I thought I would use this time to elaborate on the positives of doing this

Do understand that without this screening effect will greatly increase the # of people wanting to get the guide because not everyone wants to ask to get something, with the increased # of people not only will there be more maps but more motivation to play BSM which is always a good thing. Not only that with more people with this kind of knowledge can help us in figuring out other things which is always a plus.

Now also understand there is NOTHING in the guide that points towards any crucial data required to cheat. In fact some people learn to reach this crucial data long before figuring out the process required to make a map. In short im trying to say is with or without the guide people will figure out how to cheat, the guide doesnt speed up the process in any form or way.

On that topic, there have been people trying to figure out this map process and global unit altering code long before we started and they may know certain things that we may not, if anything the public guide will help them which in turn may help us.

Support me on Twitter!

http://twitter.com/Tipsymahn260

Tipsy3000
American Idiota! ;D
Commodore
Activity Points: 943
ranks
useravatar
1029 Posts
User info in posts

Tipsy, I trust you and GFW's judgement in this matter and will back whatever decision you two make. Maybe, you should have posted the positives before starting the poll. If you look at the initial pros and cons, you have to admit that the negative side looked pretty bad with not much supporting the positive side. Sorry if I came out so strongly against it, but I was making my opinion on the only information I had. Unfortunately, I can't take my vote back now and would have been more in the "undecided" column at this point because you make a good case for its release.

So, I really only have a couple of questions on releasing the guide to the general public. Will people who make map(s) with your guide follow your guys procedure with the map numbers? What if someone releases some map(s) that conflict with numbers that you have already assigned? Will that cause any problems? Crashes? There is something to be said about the organization that you guys have currently where design ideas are submitted and map numbers are assigned to prevent confusion. If this can be avoided somehow, I think a positive vote would be easier to attain because this may actually be a bigger problem than having the potential to aid cheaters.

Again, I apologize for my previous post with its overly negative response as I really do hate cheaters and didn't want to see anything that could possibly aid them in their quest.

http://www.battlestations.eu/images/phocagallery/agent-x-wwii-pics-2b3a/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_phoca_thumb_l_Shinano2.jpg
BSM Name: AGENT_X    Skype Name: agent-86x    BF2 Name: Agent-86    WiC Name: AGENT X

AGENT X
Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Lieutenant
Activity Points: 5
ranks
useravatar
142 Posts
User info in posts

I am Agree with  AGENT X.
Why make the guide availible to all BS.eu members ?
It's dangerous.

You can give it to who you want. But he must ask it. And you can choose.

So, my opinion is : NO.

In fact, the important for create new map is to have good idea of map. Not to be able to build it.
You want somebody to creat other map ? I am here. I propose to create 2 other map :

Invasion of Port Moresby on an idea fo Triviman-Beast Map Designs
http://www.battlestations.eu/components/com_agora/img/members/72/mini_port-moresby-map.jpg

XMAS ISLANDS on an idea of Nemesisgr
http://www.battlestations.eu/components/com_agora/img/members/72/mini_image208.jpg

But, of course, you can do whant you want.

Velcor
Activity Points: 128
ranks
useravatar
643 Posts
User info in posts

I am saying no to this. I am and always have been strictly opposed to the releasing of either guide to the public. I oppose the release of this guide to the fact that its 1 positive has many negative effects associated with it.
1. Freelance maps. This will be trouble as unauthorized maps will pop up and might be sold for money as DLC like BSPs.
2. Crashing. As a result of the new maps....old maps will also be able to be edited, and people with old versions might not be compatible to newer ones.
The positive effect only covers this and a little part of the other huge negative effect which will be that people will explore more into the mpaks and find the game files and edit them perhaps cheating.

Skype is Katarya4
Playing BSM as Katarya
BF-2 as Ratakarta
COD4 as Katarya
COD5 as Katarya or Mr. K depending on what profile.
COD6 as Fearbunny.
COD7 as Fearbunny.
BFBC2 as Fearbunny.
NF as Katarya.
Steam: Katarya

Katarya
Cute Doggy Man
Activity Points: 597
ranks
useravatar
1179 Posts
User info in posts

alright, we discussed it and have come to the conclusion that we will not release the guide to the public

People that want the guide will have to ask for it, just like before

Gamming-for-dummys
useravatar

Heya all

I was a time away ab  i read this now and must say im behinds gamings and team answer

U must see this so how crazy goes the game lobby when everyone can build map

So we can hold the Lobby Control with (MAP PACKS) Uploading For (ALL)

Greetz

Ghostface
--------------

Ghostface
Deutscher Foren Administrator
Activity Points: 690
ranks
useravatar
278 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info:

Total Users:
Newest User:
sheila38a272400036225
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Online: 
There are no members online

Forum Legend:

Topic
 New
 Active
 New/Active
 New/Locked
 New Sticky
 Locked/Active
 Active/Sticky
 Sticky/Locked
 Sticky/Active/Locked

Login Form

Battlestations Shoutbox

Latest Message: 20 hours, 14 minutes ago
  • N_Trainz : it shouldn't crash any of the IJN missions, just one mission has the history of crashing in the Challenge missions 2, I don't know the name as its been a while I last loaded this mod
  • alantay11 : Gdrive mod crashes when i try to load a mission in ijn campaign?
  • N_Trainz : No it was created by multiple authors from around the world. I just made it so its actually a mod instead of a complete game that's about 7GB in size. The readme file that is displayed can give you more info about the mod
  • Runsva : hey ntrainz did u make this mod all by yourself?
  • N_Trainz : If you need any other help, just shout out and I'll try to get back as soon as possible
  • N_Trainz : Its not a problem :D I do thank you for waiting for a long time to get the mod. Again hope you enjoy the mod and the other fun features it comes with
  • Legendary Da : I don't know how many times I said that, but thank you so much for your work. Considering how much time making an installer, making it work and uploading it to different servers, I thank you again for the effort you put in this. :D
  • N_Trainz : Legendary Da: Here it is, installers works this time and Moddb won't accept it as they say its too large to upload, so its on my Google Drive and here is the link, hope you enjoy it «link»
  • Legendary Da : I had guessed it was about the wrong area, though I still wondered why it had been removed. Thanks for taking your time to make something better for the community. Take as much time as you require, though; life still comes first.
  • N_Trainz : Actually it was removed by me for 2 reasons; 1. was it was uploaded in the wrong area and 2. the installer didn't autp - detect the disk version, only the Steam version (since that is what I have). Going to remake it so if you won't mind a but longer wat that'll be appreciated
  • Legendary Da : Thanks soo much for the mod, I couldn't access to the Internet lately so I couldn't write a reply. Btw, the mod is removed from ModDB, is it taken down, or you removed it yourself? Either way, thanks for the awesome work (at least for providing it) :D
  • N_Trainz : What game and mod are you dealing with?
  • Runsva : Can someone PLEASE help me i can't install anything on my game it just keeps crashing!!
  • N_Trainz : Legendary Da: Its now live on Moddb and here is the link, requires a Batlestations Midway game to be installed to work «link» - midway - skinpack/addons/international - bsm - collection - light - version Enjoy
  • Runsva : are we still talikg about the zyy modding pack??
  • N_Trainz : Yeah I wanted to do this, but the installers were being a pain giving me errors about something. I finally got it working, and just figured out how to make the updater now since it'll be two parts with one containing the misc files and the other mostly the mpak files. It'll be a stand - alone DLC mod just like the Bismarck Mission Pack was. Like I said I plan to have it all completed and uploaded by this weekend
  • Legendary Da : No, no, not problem at all; I am already grateful that you were thinking about this subject, I can wait as long as you need to. Thanks for the help (again), and feel no need to rush this subject; we all know that the life comes first. :)
  • N_Trainz : Hope you won't mind the wait, it'll be worth it if you ask me, and yes I do understand that you can't download due to that cap Mege has. I heard the PM was down, but haven't tried it as I been busy helping the BSmodHQ team with things and then those that are life - in - general.
  • N_Trainz : To Legendary Da: I been trying to work on that actually, what I'm experiencing is the pack size> I already made it a light version of the mod, so hopefully this weekend maybe, might be sooner
  • Legendary Da : To N_Trainz: So, um... I can't exactly download from Mega for some reason; so could u upload that mod to Moddb? I am sorry for making extra work for you, and I TOTALLY understand if u can't upload it again; so, do as you want; I just wanted to say somehow I couldn't dl the mod (btw, why isn't the PM working?). U don't have to post the link either; I'll find it from the site if u upload it. Thanks whatever u do, and so sorry for the extra wish. :/

Only registered users are allowed to post

Now Online

None

Birthdays

Adm2805 Send PM
birthday will Tuesday, 02 May 2017