Since december 2012 Battlestations: Midway is supported by GameSpy no longer. The only one possibility for Midway players is GameRanger. Please visit www.gameranger.com, download Gameranger client and make new account. You can find other Midway players in the Gameranger rooms. BS:M patch 1.1.1 is required to play online battles. Iowa Mission Pack and Midway Modders Mappacks 1 and 2 are recommended.

Edit the .mmod

Edit the .mmod

Just real quick, I am richimoto, a casual 3d modeler for about ten years. (simply google richimoto   I AM NOT the Italian guy!) I started 3D modelling shortly after I played tomb raider on playstation.  since then, for me as a gamer it has been downhill and uphill as a modeler. yesterday, I got battlestations midway.  i played it for less than an hour, before i searched Al Gore's internet looking for the tools to take it apart.  I WANT THOSE MODELS!-- a complete set of the pacific war!

--as we all know, there is zero documentation internet explaining the .mmod file format.  We know that the models were originally created in modo/lightwave (straight from the source http://www.battlestations.net/it/conten … ng-planes (the screen shot looks like modo))

but the .mmod itself is not .lwo and I cant afford even the $25 demo of modo...

In a perfect (gamer's) world, Eidos, whom I love heart and soul, would have provided some form of editor; to change missions, skins, and meshes. (but as we all know from the bargain basket at best buy, games that include that stuff aint that grand...)

The next best solution would be a program that could open a .mmod file, perform edits to it and save it as an .mmod file. Such a program would also allow you to create a new file, make your model and save it to a .mmod file.  However, someone who could program something like that would be busy making money as a full time programmer, instead of taking apart someone else's program...

The most likely solution would be a 'filter' or 'plugin' This would be something you add to an existing modelling program that can read in and save out .mmod files.  Probably implemented into an open source or SDK included modeler such as blender, milkshape, or zmodeler.

What I am going to try (and fail many times) to do is create an application that will read in the .mmod file and then convert it into either a COLLADA (.dae) or Wavefront (.obj) file.  I prefer .dae and .obj because they are text based formats (If you open a .dae or .obj in notepad, you can read it plain as day: vertex1 x, y, z, u, v, w/face=vertex1, vertex2, vertex3/group=face1, face2, face3/object=group1, group2, group3 etc...) and these formats can be imported/exported by many modelling programs. 

Friends, the process is quite simple:
1. get information from .mmod file
2. present that information in application
3. set that information to output file.

At the core, every 3D model file is simply vertex1=x y z u v vertex2=x y z u v ...

which means that in every 3D model file there will be a huge list of vertices each having an x y and z coordinate, its location in 3D space.  It should also have a U and V which is the location of the vertex on a texture map.  Sure, it gets complicated when each format puts verts together in different ways to create faces, and perhaps you have multiple levels of detail involved which means more than one model in each file, but once you can find the x y z u v, the rest is all details...

Which brings us to the now.  I have opened several .mmod files to compare them.  There are some patterns emerging, but nothing I can figure out (yet)  If I can find the information that is x,y,z,u,v  we will have half a chance of rocking the house...  but I will need your help, I will need your passion and especially your encouragement.  I have taken several games apart before, but only using toolz provided by others.  I know most of the theory, but I have no practice.  As I type, visual studio and DirectX SDK are installing on my machine...lets hope for the best.  I will see you on the waters between Midway and Osaka...

richimoto
Warrant Officer
Activity Points: 0
ranks
useravatar
32 Posts
User info in posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Edit the .mmod

We looking for a solution for .mmod since half of year. No success...

And you have right - we can't find any documentation, any support, any description for .mmod files. And yes - you have right again. The screenshot from battlestations.net shows us Modo by Luxology. I can inform You quick about that - Lightwave and Modo (401 - the newest) can't open or import .mmod files.

I'm not a 3D modeller. I'm just a fan of Battlestations Midway (the only one game i'm playing). And our game is abandoned by developpers (Eidos Hungary). So... there is high possibility we can't get ANY support from them. I don't know why. So... after very hard team job some of Midway players found (it takes 2 years...) how to modify this game a little. And the effect is here - you can download our Mappack 1, you will be able to download Mappack 2 which is coming very soon.

But we almost at the end now. The thing that stopped us are .mmods. It's really hard to make new maps, if we can't add new units. How long we can mix them.... With Mappack 2 - there are awesome maps - i really like them and i think mappack 2 is a big step forward. But without an option to open/save .mmods... we probably reached the end of our possibilities.

So - any help is welcome, any idea will be tested. Keep informing us then. At this moment we are really busy with finishing our second mappack, but we know how importants mmod are. Personally i appreciate (and i think all whole team) your post and i hope it's not the last your post here ab

PS: I found that the Modo can use scripting language for some operations (for import export too). So in my opinion Eidos 3D modellers made their models in Modo, then they exported them to .mmod format using that script.
I saw Modo scripts like that for import/export - The Unreal is nice example for that.

admin
Activity Points: 5
useravatar
0 Posts
User info in posts

Creps. Two images showing teh research so far.  Each .mmod file starts easy enough with a statement declaring mmod. That is shown in the first image.  Each .mmod from the /bullets directory opened up, with their first lines compared. The second image shows each file from the /bullets directory in a visual representation. you can see some patterns there, but it looks as though some files have LOD or multi mesh data...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4234897491_34fd480499_o.jpg

this is each file from the models/bullets directory, side by side, at 16 bits wide...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4234897675_76bf2dd2a8_o.jpg

any help, appreciated. repaid by my slaving away in a 3d modelling app...

richimoto
Warrant Officer
ranks
useravatar
32 Posts
User info in posts

Yes - i know these mmods inside ab We can't open/save them, but at least we can open them in hex editor and modify them (some parameters). It's used in mappack 2 often. 

But - as I said before - i'm not a 3D modeller - i can see some rules inside, but i can't compare them to the other 3D objects. Two of us tried/trying/will be try to discover more about these mmods, but one still no progress and second is really busy with mappack 2.

PS: But personally I still believe the turn will come and we will discover it in the future.

admin
useravatar
0 Posts
User info in posts

Same here im no 3D modeler nor am I a programmer, I hope that both of you can discover the key to unlock the .MMOD file so we can finally add the Hosho to BSM ag

Btw I hope the guide helps you richimoto, I didnt think you were a super 3D modeler but after this I believe you are, If you need some of that info I never gave you please PM immediately

Support me on Twitter!

http://twitter.com/Tipsymahn260

Tipsy3000
American Idiota! ;D
Commodore
Activity Points: 943
ranks
useravatar
1029 Posts
User info in posts

After some research I am ready to say that the .mmod file format is a directX Flexible Vertex Format.  the vertex stream is x y z n1 n2 n3 uv.  I am reading an outstanding publication at http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/ … deling.pdf  and there are several possibilities for the info following the xyz.  I have guessed that the n1 n2 n3 are for the vector of the normal.  I guessed this based on the airplane models which have texture, bump, and  specular maps; limiting the need for shader info on each vertex.  However most other types of models do not have the bump or specular maps, so the n1 n2 n3 could be for shading info...  of course you can google flexible vertex format, if you want to know more... here is a shot of depthchargebomb.mmod in the hex editor.  I have inserted spaces and aligned the window to show the x y z n1 n2 n3 uv across one line:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4237527728_f35c98d3b8_o.jpg

next is to see about the indices or even call on our programmer buddies to write a program or filter to open the file....

richimoto
Warrant Officer
ranks
useravatar
32 Posts
User info in posts

Nice one! How to say that - u discovered some new (for us) things 1 day after your first post. I'm very interesting what you can discover after a week... My hope for new .mmods is growing ab

So... i made many textures here for mappack 2. New skins for planes and ships and some other too. And yes I can confirm that. Many models (especially ships and planes) using more that one texture. Almost any plane using bump map, specular map and specific appropriate texture.

Ships - usually similar like planes. Some of ships does not using own appriopriate texture, instead of that they using some texture sets which are placed in global files.

PS: We have hidden forum for modders here. I think it's time to add you to our team and move our discussion to the hidden place... i'll ask other team members.

admin
useravatar
0 Posts
User info in posts

Wait a second, thanks to an actual 3D modeler, we are now closing in on our goal of being able to create new units!?!?!?

If we are, thank goodness; a while back me and a few of the other members collected 200 unit ideas; and I organized them into an organized list.  I even developed a "System of unit creation."  See for yourself.

PROPOSAL FOR SYSTEM OF UNIT CREATION

STEP 1: SUGGESTION
PEOPLE INVOLVED: The whole community
PURPOSE: This step is the most vital; without ideas we can't have anything to create.  We have met the 200 unit goal, and soon we will have even more ideas.

STEP 2: ORGANIZATION
PEOPLE INVOLVED: Triviaman (Myself)
PURPOSE: So we can keep track of the ideas, a carefully organized list shall be created. I already have created the list, so it makes sense if I am in charge of this part.

STEP 3: SELECTION
PEOPLE INVOLVED: Undetermined
PURPOSE: In this phase, those interested in building units select which units they want to build, and alert the rest of the community so that there won't be a case of two people, one unit.

STEP 4: CREATION
PURPOSE: Pretty much self explanitory; in this phase the units are created

STEP 5: REFERANCE
PURPOSE: As the unit is created, over time the creators should referance pictures and paintings to make sure they look as close to the real thing as possible.

STEP 6: TEST
PEOPLE INVOLVED: Undetermined, possibly the Betatesters
PURPOSE: To make sure the unit works well, and is not to overpowered or underpowered

STEP 7: EDIT (IF NECESSARY)
PURPOSE: Make necessary changes if needed

STEP 8: RELEASE
PEOPLE INVOLVED: Guys in charge
PURPOSE: The new units are made availible to the public

What do you think?  Any chance it can become the system of unit creation?

Triviaman
Spam Police
Administrator
Activity Points: 3145
ranks
useravatar
1632 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks for the consideration for the modders forum.  It would be an honor.

Triviaman, I like that plan you have laid out.  Especially the part about coordination and organization.  I think it will be a successful operation when implemented. 

I am looking into a couple of microsoft tools to load a .mmod file.  Most Notably, XNA game studio...  This is good because any tools or utilities created would be windows/directx compatible.  But it uses C# of which I know zero.  I am reading the tutes, and have actually downloaded a couple of sample projects, designed to import custom meshes!  I will take that as a lucky sign...

When that gets too frustrating, I will see about the plugin options to make a set of filters for blender...

richimoto
Warrant Officer
ranks
useravatar
32 Posts
User info in posts

WOW! what a day.  my head hurts.  Hopefully these beers can take the edge off.  After an all day jam session trying to learn C# and XNA all I could come up with is a simple app that opens .mmod as plain text ac  my obstacle now is trying to get a program to read the actual 0x info, and convert it to float and dword as needed...I am not going to be able to do that in C# for quite some time.  C# doesnt really make any sense at all, if you just read the code.  it is worse than C++ which only makes sense if someone explains to me...

On a plus note, Visual Basic and DirectX offer a much more useable alternative.  Since hacking the XNA modules proved more difficult than I could have ever imagined, hard coding a DirectX app should be refreshing, and Visual Basic sort of makes sense when you read its code.  VB has if then else instead of = () ;

Not even looking for it, look what I found in the DirectX care and feeding pamphlet:

struct CUSTOMVERTEX {
        FLOAT x, y, z;
        FLOAT rhw;
        DWORD color;
        FLOAT tu, tv;   // Texture coordinates
};

// Custom flexible vertex format (FVF) describing the custom vertex structure
#define D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX (D3DFVF_XYZRHW | D3DFVF_DIFFUSE | D3DFVF_TEX1)

I got pretty close, on my first guess!  This is fun. 

Documenting my first FAIL.  I think my only mistake was thinking learning C# and XNA would be easy HA!
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4238695065_1a958f4750_o.jpg

richimoto
Warrant Officer
ranks
useravatar
32 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks for the complement earlier on my system proposal richimoto; maybe the guys in charge will consider it.
(BTW, which step were you referring to when you said coordination, because none of my steps are called "Coordination")

Triviaman
Spam Police
Administrator
ranks
useravatar
1632 Posts
User info in posts

I was impressed with this part:
"STEP 3: SELECTION
PEOPLE INVOLVED: undetermined
PURPOSE: In this phase, those interested in building units select which units they want to build, and alert the community so that there won't be a case of two people, one unit. "

It would be easy to imagine a bunch of members modelling say a B-29, but if everyone announces their intent 'Hey I am building a B-29' then maybe someone else would say, if he is making the B-29, I can go ahead and work on my baka bomb project....

It is impressive that you have devised a method to 'register' a work in progress.  Of course some will model the same project anyway, because it is their favorite, and some will declare a project and flake out (uh, so I have heard....D'Oh!)

Seriously, putting together a 'Master Control' central location is a good Idea.  I was on a need for speed mod forum a few years back, and there were probably 10 different NSX models.  Half of them were copies released by a different user, each claiming to have created the file, most were OK models, and one was the best original file....

As an admin, you want to encourage activity, but you do not need 10 B-29 files, when only one is the best... also, if I wanted to make a B-29 but user-x already has one, I could wait for him to finish and work on something else...

And if someone or some group serves as master control, combined efforts can be optimized by preventing duplication.  That is the coordination.

richimoto
Warrant Officer
ranks
useravatar
32 Posts
User info in posts

Almost forgot!
PEOPLE INVOLVED:

should be everyone. 
A player who does not or can not create 3d models can say 'look we really don't need a Bf-109, but the japan version of the me-262  (Kikka?)would work good...
A player who can and does create 3d models could say, 'I will make this and that'
A player who happens to be a moderator or admin could say 'You could make this but User-X is making it...so make That instead...'

richimoto
Warrant Officer
ranks
useravatar
32 Posts
User info in posts

So... for people involved in Step 3; I should replace "Undetermined" with "The community"?

Triviaman
Spam Police
Administrator
ranks
useravatar
1632 Posts
User info in posts

I have a few 3D max models ready.

Skype is Katarya4
Playing BSM as Katarya
BF-2 as Ratakarta
COD4 as Katarya
COD5 as Katarya or Mr. K depending on what profile.
COD6 as Fearbunny.
COD7 as Fearbunny.
BFBC2 as Fearbunny.
NF as Katarya.
Steam: Katarya

Katarya
Cute Doggy Man
Activity Points: 597
ranks
useravatar
1179 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Dormant:
User Info:

Total Users:
Newest User:
kelly0947
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Online: 
There are no members online

Forum Legend:

Topic
 New
 Active
 New/Active
 New/Locked
 New Sticky
 Locked/Active
 Active/Sticky
 Sticky/Locked
 Sticky/Active/Locked

Login Form

Battlestations Shoutbox

Latest Message: 6 days, 4 hours ago
  • Legendary Da : Hi everyone, I have one (or two) quick question about BS:M modding. I try to figure out sp mapmaking, and my first act on it was to convert a MP map to SP. However I can only play as Allies in those maps. What parameter do I have to change to play those maps as Japanese in the respective map .mpak (And where is the parameter I have to change?)?
  • N_Trainz : G'day mates, I just wanted to let those who use Windows 10 and also for those who are having troubles getting the game launching because of Games for Windows LIVE, I made a tutorial of how to get it working successfully again like on Windows 8.1. Its on my channel and here's the link to the video. «link»
  • Mokeo67 : The dictator, I downloaded the mmod2txm and I added four slots to the fletcher and a couple to the lexington.Thanks for the help though.
  • The Dictator : Makeo67 i've explained how to find the unused slots in the topic and the mmod2txm it's a program that has been shared. However there aren't so many ships with unused platforms and sme of them are in wrong positions and for move them you need to know how to change the mmod file. But if you know how to do it you can make new platfors as you want. I've shared the south dakota disposition and this one is the most intersting in my opinion
  • N_Trainz : Well it looks like we have spammers again
  • Mokeo67 : No problem Thanks for the help
  • Axis_Crusher : Not really
  • Mokeo67 : Ok thanks anyway. Do you know who does?
  • Axis_Crusher : Unfortunately I don't deal with that part of modding
  • Mokeo67 : Sorry forgot the link. «link»
  • Mokeo67 : This is the forum topic I meant. The dictator said he found the unused slots in the TXM file obtainable with the mmod2txm, what is this and is it available to use.
  • Axis_Crusher : This is your best bet: «link»
  • Mokeo67 : Also I saw on the forum that ships have unused platform slots. How do I use these?
  • Mokeo67 : I tried changing the bogue class carrier to a yorktown class in the phillipene sea mission and one of two things happened. The mission either didnt change or the game crashed.
  • Axis_Crusher : No problem
  • Mokeo67 : That is what im talking about. Ill have a look at it later thanks for the help
  • Axis_Crusher : specific mission’s 3_scene mpak file by working on the .lua file. There is where the bonus unit is actually added into the mission (by the script). I haven't tried it myself so good luck.
  • Axis_Crusher : I assume you are talking about the bonus units that you unlock for certain missions by completing previous ones (like the B - 25’s in the 2nd Battle of Guadalcanal). The bonus units are unlocked by completing certain objectives in the campaign - so that is linked to your campaign progress. Since that cannot be altered you must look at the missiontree.lua file. This is where the unit will show up unlocked on the mission screen. There are references to allunitslock. Also you will have to edit the
  • Mokeo67 : Thank you I will look in this file. I did unlock all the campaign missions, all you have to do is delete the text after 'prerequisite' and it will unlock. But I havent figured out how to unlock the bonus units.
  • Axis_Crusher : I also prefer it being off, just as most of the BSM community. Most players, however prefer repair to be enabled so that is what we should do. Most of our maps it will be disabled through the script however. If you want to play with the game's repair settings you can find it under shipglobals.lua

Only registered users are allowed to post

Latest Posts